You should enter a product key using slmgr.vbs prior to activating the installation.
Installation Method 2 - Use a Unattend File for Installing Server Core.
The manual install is a simple process, but using an unattend file for the Server Core installation allows you to do a lot of the initial configuration tasks during the setup. An unattended Server Core installation has the following benefits:
- No need to perform the initial configuration by subsequently using command-line tools.
- The settings to enable remote administration can be included in the unattend file in the unattend file.
- Settings which cannot be easily changed such as the display resolution can be set.
Follow the below procedure to install Server Core using an unattend file:
- Create an .xml file named Unattend.xml using a simple text editor or Windows System Image Manager.
- Copy your Unattend.xml file to a local drive or a shared network drive.
- Boot the machine to Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE), Windows Server 2003, or Windows XP.
- Insert the disk with the Server Core installation of Windows Server 2008 or 2008 R2 into the drive. (just hit Cancel is the auto-run Setup window opens).
- In the command prompt, change to the drive containing the installation disk.
- Enter the below command at the command prompt:
where path is the path to theUnattend.xml file.
- Allow the Setup process to complete.