Server Core Prerequisites
Before installing Server Core you will need the following:
- The original Windows Server 2008 or 2008 R2 installation media.
- If you are using Windows Server 2008 you will need a valid product key (installation can be completed on Windows Server 2008 R2 without a product key).
- A machine for the clean Server Core installation (note that there is currently no upgrade option for Server Core – only a new clean installation is available).
- There is no way to upgrade from a . Only a clean installation is supported.
- There is no way to upgrade from a Server Core installation to a full installation of Windows Server 2008. If you need the Windows® user interface or a server role that is not supported in a Server Core installation, you will need to install a full installation of Windows Server 2008.
Note that the only option for installing Server Core is a new clean installation, it is not possible to upgrade from a full installation of Windows Server 2008 to a Server Core installation nor is it possible to upgrade from any previous version of Windows Server to Server Core.
Installation Method 1 – Manually Install Server Core.
Follow the below procedure to install Server Core:
- Insert the Windows Server 2008 installation media in the DVD drive.
- The auto-run dialog will appear, click Install Now.
- Follow the stepped instructions to complete the Server Core Setup.
- When Setup has completed, hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE, click Other User, then type Administrator with a blank password, and hit ENTER. You will then be prompted to create a password for the Administrator account, and the installation will then be complete.
In Windows Server 2008 R2the setup procedure no longer prompts you for a product key.